RE: Oracle Fail Safe

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JJReimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <JJReimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:45:30 +0100

John,

I have some experience with it. We use it to protect some sap databases.
It works reasable well, had some strange installation problems with older
versions, but these seem to be gone now.
One thing to remember is to have the parameter file (init or spfile) on a
location that fails over to the other node, otherwise you probable end up with
differences between parameter files and failing failovers.

About the licensing cost: you don't need to license the failover server only if
there is only 1 failover server for your primary server and you only run the
database for a maximum of 10 days per calendar year. And ff you run the
database today for 2 hours on the failover server, it is counted as a full day.
Otherwise you need to licence all servers.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator