RE: Oracle Fail Safe

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'JJReimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <JJReimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Oracle-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:40:52 -0600

Yes.

It's an active-passive configuration, so there is still some minimal downtime
when a node goes down as the cluster moves to the other node. (You probably
already knew that, but sometimes it bears repeating).

I like it for what it does.  It adds a level of complexity to your DBA
activities though.  For example, configuring the Oracle Agent for Grid Control
on a Windows Cluster requires you to create a "VirtualAgent" directory on the
shared storage.  Not terribly complicated but requires the cluster to be moved
to the 2nd node as part of the configuration.  (Note Id: 464191.1)

Make sure you use the latest version of Oracle FailSafe downloadable from OTN
and apply any patches from Oracle support.  Prior to the latest version you
couldn't have both 10g and 11g instances running in the cluster (as I found out
after I tried to add a new 11g installation).

There's an additional component called Oracle FailSafe manager (I believe it
is) that can be installed but is not required.  It however is (was?) only
supported on Windows 32-bit systems and would crosscheck your cluster
configuration and do some administrative tasks by running the commands for you.

Once I went through the process and figured out what that particular tool did,
I realized it was really needed so I add my resources to the cluster manually
now which I think is more straight forward.

We have 7 oracle databases running on our cluster and when we initiate a
failover, it takes approximately 3 minutes to move all the resources over and
have them online.  An actual surprise failover is a bit quicker since in that
case the cluster doesn't have to shut down the databases on the primary node as
they are already down.

If you have an Oracle Users Group near you, it would probably be of benefit to
tap into them and see if they have any Oracle guys who have FailSafe setup and
be willing to do a bit of consulting (looking over your shoulder as you do the
setup/installs) on the initial setup/configuration.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.