RE: Oracle Exadata Machine

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:14:36 -0400

I heard 1 million all in for 1/2 rack but that could be wrong. Doesn't seem
that bad. We paid 1 million for a 16 cpu sun box with storage back in 1999
which would read at 35Mb/sec, that was without the oracle licence.
I've asked Kevin a few times and haven't got an answer but I've wondered how
exadata does with frequent single keyed reads. I know people say you don't
have that with data warehouses but I find that as dw's become the single
view of corporate data that that is a valid requirement. The dw becomes the
focal point for the corporation of consumer information. So if you want a
single view of a customer for agents etc, single keyed reads are very
important. We had a small app doing a thousand single keyed reads/hr kill
our teradata dw as it wasn't using the primary index. It didn't affect the
apps performance but it screwed up everyone else.