Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux and Linux Standard Base (LSB)

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:44:35 +0100

Hi.

I listened to Wim Cokearts speak about this and their message was pretty
simple. Oracle are writing lots of fixes for stuff that Red Hat won't
include in their kernel directly, and although they will make it into the
main kernel tree (and therefore get into RHEL), it takes a long time. Look
at how long we have been stuck with substandard kernel features due to the
delays in getting RHEL6 out of the door.

The Oracle kernel allows Oracle to get the important features/fixes out in a
better time frame than RHEL, while still being fully certified for all
Oracle products. They will continue to ship and certify against both their
kernel and the RHEL kernel.

Many of the performance improvements will also be seen in RHEL6 once it's
released, so Oracle aren't trying to take the credit for all of them. It's
just that you are getting a RHEL6+ kernel now, rather than waiting for RHEL6
to be released.

In addition, you can break the chain between RHEL version and kernel
version. On an Oracle server, the main thing you care about is the kernel.
Do you care if you are running OEL5 or OEL6 if you have the same kernel on
both? There's nothing to stop you running OEL5 for as long as Oracle support
it, and still have all the benefits of the latest and greatest kernel along
with the bug fixes. That certainly saves a lot of hassle with regards to
upgrading versions across your data center.

The major take home message from this is that Oracle expect you to use their
kernel from now on. It's what they are going to use for all their appliances
from now on.

Cheers

Tim...