Re: Oracle EM Provisioning/patching pack

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:23:22 +0100

Patching, we don't need no stinking patching!

Or more seriously, most of our clients don't patch database systems in a
policy driven manner, but on an 'as-needed' basis. 'As-needed' usually being
driven by support, business users or occasionally enlightened infrastructure
folks that think running infrastructure systems that have publicly available
exploits is a bad idea. I'll confess to being unfamiliar with your
particular product offerings, but the OEM patching stuff seems to match
clients that say 'We want to patch all our databases from 9.2.0.4 to
9.2.0.8', or else 'we want to apply all CPU patches withing 2 months of
release'. We don't have many customers that a) have such a policy and b)
have so many systems that overtime for the dba team is excessively
expensive.

I'm not even going to touch the system test before patching issue here, it
exists though. I will offer that most MS shops do have an OS patching policy
and it is easier to engage with management of such shops on patching/update
requirements than it is with *nix shops. This is only partly a technical
issue, it's mostly cultural.

Niall

--
Niall Litchfield