Re: Oracle Data Guard

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:12:23 +0200

Yes, I'm awake. It's about impossible to have an afterdinner powernap
these days.

On topic now. There was a thread recently on another list, for
blacksmiths (some of you might know I convert an old 24m/72ft barge into
a pleasure boat, if time permits).

Some guy asked: anyone used a sledgehammer before? did you like it? any
challenge, or best practices?
insert unwilling screws'.

The analogy with Li's question is amazing.......
(Dont take it personal Li, lots of people walked the trail you're
following before you did)

It's about the approach of something: Hey, this is a tool, what can I
use this for?

Data Guard is great and second to none, if used for the right problem.
(the screw might get inserted better with the proper screwdriver)
Data Guard can be great. I implemented it at some 20-40 sites (I stopped
counting) and many more databases.
Data Guard can't solve any problem. It's always part of the total
solution, which will have many more components.

Challenges: Many. Start with discovering the requirements of your
business regarding High Availability: maximum recovery time, maximum
data loss. Investigate all problems. Think of solutions. Think of
problems for your solutions..... (Read my post of last Saturday)

Best Practices: Look for bad practices, war stories. In High
Availability Business 'Best Practices' are of no use. Learn from
mistakes others made for you.
My favorite: the company that took care of everything. 2 Data centres,
half a mile apart. Dark fiber between the DC's. Data Guard in Max.
Protection mode. UPS. Generator. Extra Fuel. At one beautiful day a
forklift it a powerline, and half of Rotterdam went out of power. No
worries though: UPS kicked in, Generator was started in time, evrything
ran smoothly. For appr. 45 minutes. Then alarms started ringing.
Temperatures in the DC's went sky high. It appeared someone forgot to
take the airconditioning into account when calculating the power the
Generator needed to deliver. Or they were simply not connected.
Whatever, the CEO found himself removing batons from the windows, and
carefully removing the panes in his 'highly secure' datacenter, to let
fresh air come in. Just think problems. Find a problem for every
solution......
Search the oracle-l archives. I posted on Data Guard 8 times this year
and 42 times or so last year. Read documentation, it really isn't bad at
all.

Apologies for not providing a full answer. I have loads of work on my
desk. However, I think I gave you a strating point to discover the
beautiful and challenging world of High Availability.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===