Re: Oracle DBA future

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 22:36:17 +1100

Ranko Mosic wrote,on my timestamp of 4/03/2008 1:25 PM:

Bit defeatist and off-topic, I admit, but I'd like to hear what's the
opinion on future of our profession and which way to go.

Wish I had a future reading lens as well...

What I read in trade press is that DBA's and geeks in general can't be
just technical any more, we must get into business side.

That's been the case for a looong time, not just now.

What does list think ? If we all must be more business savvy,
what's the best way to get into it from where we are now ? Data modeling ?
Suggestions, ideas, thoughts please.

Get a permanent job instead of contract gigs
and first time one hits a work problem, try
to solve it instead of running away to another gig.

Might sound a bit crude, but long term jobs are
not inherited or due: they are made.  And it's
whoever is in them that has to do the "made" bit.

Just like any other relationship, really.

Hey, it worked for me...
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto