        From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Moore
        Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 5:12 PM
        To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
        Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: Oracle DBA Position in Buffalo New York...

        I'm guessing that we don't have any DBA's that make less than
100k but then the cost of a livable house is about 500k here in Silicon
Valley.
        Mike

        On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Robert Freeman
<robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                Well, let's see.... based on where I've lived...

                Where I was born, Enid, Oklahoma.... where the cost of
living is truly LOW... 65k is worth 75k in Buffalo, NY.
                Living in Seattle... a 38k salary is worth 65k in
Buffalo... so that would be a positive move.
                Living in Chicago... 40k in Buffalo is worth about 60k
in Chicago (Naperville, IL. to be exact).
                Living in Jacksonville, FL. 55k in Jax buys you 65k in
Buffalo.
                And Salt Lake... 51k in SLC gets you 65k in Buffalo.

                All in all, Buffalo seems to be a cheaper place to live.

                Looks like:

                Food - Higher (slightly) in Buffalo
                Housing - Lower (a lot.... what is the quality/age of
these houses I wonder?)in Buffalo
                Utilties, health and transportation - higher in Buffalo

                So the bottom line is it's almost all in the housing.
I'd really question the quality of that housing.

                RF

                 Robert G. Freeman
                Oracle ACE
                Author:
                Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle
Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
                OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified
Professional Study Guide (Sybex)
                Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
                Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
                Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
                Other various titles out of print now...
                The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a
Church member in
                good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned
I may be breaking
                the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's
legal I promise! :-)
                http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf