Re: Oracle Complete Recovery.

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prabhu_adam@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:25:36 -0400

On 9/24/05, Prabhu, K <prabhu_adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
> In an interview I'm asked this question that, how will you do complete
> recovery for a database which is running in archivelog mode.
> I answered as first I'll restore all the backups then I'll mount the
> database, then I'll start the recovery by using command alter database
> revocery.
>
> But my interviewer was not statisfied with my answer and he asked me is
> there any other way you can recover the database without using alter
> database command.
>
> As the interviewer said is there any other way we can do that ?
>
> your help is deeply appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Prabhu

Did you ask him back "what version? (African of European?)
Did you ask him if the online redo logs were available?
(a requirement for complete recovery)
Did you ask him if a copy of the current controlfile was available?

SQL> set autorecovery on
SQL> recover database;

and you should see something along the lines of "media recovery complete".

SQL> alter database open noresetlogs;
statement processed.

such material is covered in the "user managed backup/recovery" docs on otn.

Pd