Re: Oracle CDC Experiences

Andrew,

  If instead of sending your responses directly to me, you send them to the DW
product managers at Oracle, that would be equally acceptable.   They wanted
feedback from me and others.  I suggested that the folks here at oracle-l,
which I follow daily, might have a lot of valuable feedback and asked if it
would acceptable to them if I solicited the folks on oracle-l on their behalf.

  They were fine with that and are not members of this list, so it made sense
that I sent out the request.  You are also more than welcome to respond at
firstname.lastname@xxxxxxxxxx for me (Job Miller).

  I didn't want their inboxes to be bombarded with thoughts.  I had hoped to
collect your survey data and send it on to them in a consolidated mailing.  I
don't know their intentions for the data, but if they want to discuss further
with you about your environment/issues, I'd bet they would want to know who you
are and who you work for also.

  Someone else also pointed out that it would be helpful to know the volume of
data you are capturing/processing via CDC.

  CDC (especially async CDC) as described in the DW concepts manual (10g+) is
not very often discussed here it seems.  There have been a few threads on it
over the last couple years since I have been reading oracle-l, but not many.

  Thanks,

  Job Miller

Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The problem is we don't know that you are who you say you are.  It would be
grossly irresponsible for someone to answer this type of survey just because
you say you work for Oracle.  Its one think to ask and answer questions, which
is the intent of this list.  It is another thing to answer random questions
about their environment.  Especially since if you follow the list, you can
probably figure out the company even if they dont put it on the survey answers.
 If you really need answers to a survey like this, point us to a link on the
metalink or otn site.

  On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Lyndon Tiu <ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You don't have to say which company you work for.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:32:50 -0500 andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Of course, if anyone sends this back to you with answers they will probably
> be violating their company confidentiality policy, and consultants would
> definitely be violating their client confidentiality agreements, not to
> mention their professional ethics.
>
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The folks at Oracle that develop Change Data Capture, which is part
> of the
> > database and is an application built on top of streams, were looking for
> > some feedback about the users of CDC out there.
> >
> > They had a few questions.
> >
> > Who do you work for?
> >
> > CDC in production [yes/no]?
> >
> > If not production, when is CDC planned to being used?
> >
> > Oracle database version(s)?
> >
> > What CDC method is being used?
> > - sync CDC
> > - async CDC
> >
> > If async cdc, what flavor?
> > - asynchronous hotlog
> > - asynchronous distributed hotlog
> > - asynchronous autolog
> > - don't know
> >
> > Are you leveraging?
> > - Publishing of change tables [yes/no]
> > - subscription of change tables [yes/no]
> > - don't know
> >
> > Any generic comments about CDC, e.g. its usefulness, robustness,
> problems?
> >
> > Please send me any comments and all I'll forward them along to Product
> > Manager that sent out the request for info.
> >

> --
> Andrew W. Kerber

Lyndon Tiu

--