Re: Oracle CBO question

  • From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:48:50 +0200

On 6/7/07, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(snip)
Why the number 16 was chosen I am not sure.
Perhaps someone speculated there was a 4 bit limitation?
(snip)

It's not the first time I hear about this "16" myth, it would be nice,
for historical reasons, to know about the source.

I can only speculate that this was a limitation of some protozoic
version of Oracle, removed since the first mammal hit the shoreline,
or that in some "guideline paper" it was suggested to limit the number
of table joined to 16, and some people understood this as an hard limit.