From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Freeman
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:11 PM
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Oracle Book Mal-practice...

So, I'm reading a particular book tonight. I don't want to say which one
it is at the moment because I know one of the authors and I want to make
sure that this author did not write this chapter.

My question is, what constitutes Oracle Book Writing mal-practice (and I
pray I've never committed it). Certainly mistakes crop up in books all
the time, I'm as guilty as any writer of this. This chapter I'm reading
though, in an effort to get the reader to doing something quickly, does
not lay any foundation, skips critical steps and actually prompts them
to do what I consider some very dangerous things.

It would be one thing if the book said, "Look, this is not the way you
should do this in production." but it does not. In this chapter, a very
junior DBA might well follow the instructions and, having successfully
completed everything, think that they are done. The truth, a nasty
truth, is that all they have done is taken some very big risks and they
have some nasty gottya's coming down the pike.

In my mind, this isn't a simple mistake. This isn't an editorial
mis-step. This is someone trying to make something seem easy and leaving
out some very sailient instructions without any warning.

Very bothersome.... For your Junior DBA's all I can say is buyer beware.
Get yourself a good mentor to go with all these books.

Cheers all and buyer beware...

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study
Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable
DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle
Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New
Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member
in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be
breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I
promise! :-) http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf