RE: Oracle Book Mal-practice...

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 08:59:47 -0400

Robert,

You are correct in everything you say.

Let me add a "but".

One of the best ways to learn how to get out of tough situations is to
put yourself into one.

Let's face it.  Junior DBA's are going to make mistakes.  That's what
senior DBA's are for.  To help them get out of a jam by forcing them to
perform a 12 hour restore.  And then showing them what their mistakes
were.

You get burned once and you learn "never to do that again".

I'm not advocating putting something in print that is risky behavior.
This author needs some strong feedback on that chapter showing them that
they are suggesting risky behavior that might put a junior DBA in a
tight situation.

By the way.  Your books are awesome.

Tom