Re: Oracle Advanced Queue and Java Messaging System(JMS)

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: radu.popescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:43:37 -0700 (PDT)

Radu,

In 10g there is only JMS java interface to AQ.
But that does no change what I said as truth.

JMS (java API at the end) on top of AQ. AQ on top of
tables with nice PL/SQL implementation.
I think that all other API's are just using PL/SQL at
the end even it is masked with C OCI calls and Java
API.

Every queue is basically the table where the message
is based on the object types created in the database
for the specific queues like one mentioned
(sys$_aq_jms_text_message).

Even Oracle put Streams before all AQ fucntionality in
10g. At the end it is old AQ as in 8i/9i with a few
enhancements.

I do not care too much how Java API is called but
rather how is that working.
As you said JMS is the only you can hear from 10g
release so you are correct only in that particular
case.

Also 10g is not spread that much yet, so using term
Java API is good enough for me.
In 9i you have both special Oracle Java API and Oracle
JMS that is based on the Sun JMS with additional
administration API not covered by the standard.
Similar to Oracle JDBC that has more then the standard
JDBC standard anyway. Or Oracle SQL :)

I liked Oracle AQ a lot because it gives you nice
queueing without additional cost (licenses), so at
least something free from ORacle :)

Regards,
Zoran

--- Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu.popescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>