Re: Oracle Advanced Queue and Java Messaging System(JMS)

  • From: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu.popescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:43:07 +0300

Martic Zoran wrote:
> Radu,
>
>>Also how many queues, producers and consumers do you
>>have ?
>
> 4 queues. 2 are with 1 producer and 4 or more
> consumers, 2 are with 4 or more producers and 1
> consumer. This was good enough for our customers
> because the bottleneck was in some other integrated
> systems :)

Thank you for the reply, very informative.
I've a question for you regarding the multiple consumers on the same queue.
How are the messages distributed between these consumers ?
Does each consumer of this queue get to see each message ? I think not.
Therefore is it true that having more than one consumer on a queue makes sense
only when you want to distribute the processing of the queue messages to
multiple processes (=consumers), for reasons such as splitting the load etc ?

The JMS specification says:
"Although it is possible to have two sessions with a QueueReceiver for the same
queue, JMS does not define how messages are distributed between the
QueueReceivers."

Does Oracle AQ (whether using or not JMS) define this ? Do you even care about
this, or it's of no relevance, since you simply want to distribute the work of
processing messages between several consumers and care not what messages goes
where ?

> If you want to be faster you will go with bulk enq/deq
> (DML) in 10g.

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
--