Re: Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition - Standby switchover issues

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:43:09 -0500

On 12/7/05, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Oracle 9.2.0.6 Standard Edition
> I have issues when I want to switch between my standby and primary database.
>
> I got this error
> ARCH: Archiving not possible: No standby destinations
> ARCH: Failed to archive log 1 thread 1 sequence 61
> ORA-16014 signalled during: alter database commit to switchover to standby
> wi
>
> We are running the Standard Edition so I can't use "log_archive_dest_n ...."
>
> I copy my archive log file with a script and apply them using "recover
> automatic standby database".
>
> For another system with Enterprise Edition, I'm using these commands without
> any problems:
> To switch from Primary to Standby
> alter database commit to switchover to physical standby with session
> shutdown;
> shutdown immediate;
> startup nomount;
> alter database mount standby database;
> alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2=defer scope=both;
> alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;
>
> To switch from Standby to Primary
> alter database recover managed standby database finish skip standby logfile;
> alter database commit to switchover to primary;
> shutdown immediate
> startup
> alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2=enable scope=both;
>
> Question:
> What do I need to make it work with the Standard Edition ?
>
> Thanks
> Luc
> --
> Luc Demanche
> Oracle DBA
> (514) 867-9977

Luc,

> alter database recover managed standby database finish skip standby logfile;
> alter database commit to switchover to primary;

Both of these statements are for DataGuard.

For a user-managed standby database you will want to use the 8.1.7
behavior, along the lines of:

SQL> recover standby database;
SQL> alter database activate standby database;
SQL> shutdown immediate
SQL> startup

... and you now have a new primary database (back it up :) )
I don't have my docs on this in front of me at the moment, but I will
in about an hour.

Paul