Re: Oracle 8i and 9i on same Windows server?

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:50:03 +0100

Jared,

please be careful here.
Even it might work to connect Oracle 7 clients to 11g DataBases, It might create really uneasy situations in complex environments. I'm really interrested in this guarantee Oracle gives, especially if RAC with TAF/FAN or gateways are in use. (unfortunately I have not the software or resources to test this).
So if you can prove this, it would be great.

cheers,
 Martin

Oracle guarantees that all clients will always be able to connect to newer versions of the database. I've seen that stated in an ML note or something, but can't recall
just where.

IAC, we have Oracle 7 clients connecting to 11g databases.

Works just fine.

Going the other direction however, a client will not likely be able to connect
to any database that is > 2 versions behind.

10g for instance cannot connect to a 7.x database.

Jared