Oracle 8.1.7 32-bit on AIX 5.3 64-bit

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:50:58 -0700

Anyone running this combination?  We are considering migrating to this and I
found on Metalink (notes 231901.1 & 222404.1) that patch 2896876 is required to
support this.  I'm hesitant to run anything in production that requires a
special patch, especially for a desupported version.  Why do we want to run 8i
you ask?  We have an old application that is only compatible with 8i and we
aren't ready to upgrade the app yet.

The other option is to run the AIX kernel in 32-bit mode, and then 32-bit 8i
should work w/o the patch, but I'm afraid this would restrict us to 1.75GB of
SGA (not sure about that).  We will also be running 9i 64-bit on the same
server, but supposedly it has no problems running on the 32-bit kernel.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else is running this configuration and if
you have any advice or warnings?

Thanks,
Brandon Allen