RE: Oracle 6 software download

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:22:52 +0800

Quoting Marco Gralike <Marco.Gralike@xxxxxxx>:

> how to deal with UMB, HIGHMEM, EMM etc, It should be do-able. ;-) ;-) ;-) At
> least trying would be great fun.

Aye!  The man enjoys pain...

Oracle V4.1.4 didn't need any of that, it ran on 640K quite happy.
Oracle 5 and 6 ran on extended memory.  Early 5 needed it's own
extended memory manager that was shipped with Oracle, late 5 and 6
used the much more ubiquitous and sensible extended memory as
specified by Microsoft.  It also supported the Quarterdeck
extended memory extensions:  with Desqview, it was possible to run
multiple Oracle databases and DOS sessions - IF you had enough memory
and a 486 at least!

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a 5-1/4" diskette drive:
not made anymore, I think.  486 boxes are dirt easy to find: they are
still widely used by Linux boffins as firewalls.

Sorry, threw away all my pre-7 releases of Oracle all the way back to
4.1.4 three years ago when I moved house.  Still have one or two
manuals, but I'll be darned if I remember where!
(showing my age again...)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto