Re: Oracle 32 bit Vs 64 bit

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nirmalya@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:56:50 -0700

Look at the docs on OTN

The 32 bit files are fine.

You just need to recreate the control files and recompile all stored code.

On 9/6/06, Nirmalya Das <nirmalya@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry forgot to mention that we are in 10g release 1....

Now I have a brand new box with 64 bit oracle installed. Not upgrading,
it is a
new install. I am just trying to find out the easiest and fastest way
to do the
data movement. Trying to avoid exp from 32 bit and imp into 64 bit. So
about bring the hard drive containg data from 32 bit machine to the 64
If I create the tablespaces on 64 bit and point the datafiles to the
disks that
I brought over will that work?

Quoting Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>:

> It is my understanding that this will not work due to the different word
> size - the 64-bit software will point to different locations than your
> 32-bit software. What version are you dealing with? If you are going
> anything lower than 10gR1 to 10gR2, the upgrade will automatically
> the word size. If you are coming from 10gR1, there is a rather simple
> you can run to accomplish this during the upgrade.
> So in essence, you could clone the database (via mirrors, if you like),
> upgrade as documented and you should be all set.
> On 9/6/06, Nirmalya Das <nirmalya@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Currently we run Oracle standard edition (32 bit) on RHEL release 4 on
>> IBM
>> 345 (x86) with 6GB of memory.
>> Here's what I am trying to accomplish:
>> 1. Trying to figure out whether 64 bit Oracle will improve performance.
>> I will appreciate if anyone could share their experience who has done
>> testing already and have established a performance matrix.
>> 2. I am setting up a machine with 64 bit oracle. Trying to figure out
>> fastest way to set up the database with data from an existing 32 bit
>> database.
>> I am trying to avoid exp/imp process really.
>> Here's what I am thinking:
>>   - install 64 bit oracle on the new machine
>>   - create an empty database.
>>   - break the mirror (data disks) from the 32 bit machine and bring one
>> set of
>>     data disks to the new machine.
>>   - create new tablespaces on the new machine and point the datafiles
>> newly
>>     acquired disks with data from the 32 bit machine.
>> Do you think that will work?
>> Is this a crazy idea......
>> If it works but the performance gain from 64 bit Oracle is nothing then
>> take
>> those data disks and move it to the old 32 bit machine.
>> Thanks all for your input.
>> Nirmalya
>> --
> --