From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dhimant Patel
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 8:23 AM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Oracle 24x7 shops and Patches-Upgrades.

Hi Gurus,

This seems very common issue but I am confronted with a requirement
where we need to have 24x7 availability, no exceptions.
There is no way we can have staging server (for patch testing before
deploying on the production.) and we need to accommodate
software upgrades without a planned downtime.

I'm also wondering how shops having 24x7 availability addresses such
issues?

Since I'm focused solely on Oracle, I'm not aware if any database server
allow patching/upgrading without bringing down the server?
Is any mainstream database server offer such solution?

Thanks,
DP.

NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential.
The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended
as the recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the
message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the
sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original
transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer
system. Thank you.