Re: Oracle 24x7 shops and Patches-Upgrades.

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:36:18 +0000

On 12/21/06, Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Niall

> For what it's worth I'm extremely sceptical about the usefulness of
the
> application schema versioning that Tom outlined as well :) I just
can't
> see any of the apps I've seen for the last 5 years or so being able to
> actually take advantage of what was described.

IMHO the point is that presently *no* application is able to take
advantage from that feature. But in the future if you really need to
upgrade an application while it is online, you may take advantage from
editions, edition views and cross-edition triggers to do so.

Regards,
Chris

I agree that that is the point, and full credit to them for going down this
route, it's certainly innovative and targeted at an area that promises real
business benefit. I still don't see how this approach will deal with the
typical app I see today with code and objects in the db, code and objects on
the middle tier in Java (upgrading that online could be a challenge) and
with code and objects residing on the (thin) client in the form of
javascript/cookies/cached .jars/dlls etc. Of course also most apps I see
(excluding e-business suite) are database agnostic as well and so likely
will not care about editions anyway.

Were the typical application these days one with the code in pl/sql/views in
the db and a simple presentation layer then maybe, certainly APEX based apps
as an example might well become online upgradeable quite quickly. Anyway we
shall see. It's a grand vision and I applaud that, but as a somewhat
sceptical dba I have my doubts as well.

Cheers

Niall

--