Re: Oracle 24x7 shops and Patches-Upgrades.

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:48:45 -0500

You *might* just possibly be able to upgrade your own in-house written
software without downtime. You *cannot* maintain Oracle software without
downtime - 11g promises the actual shipping of 'rolling upgrades' just about
1/2 a decade after Larry first mentioned them. Until then (and it would be a
brave person who relied on that particular feature in it's first release)
then you cannot achieve 24*7 without either

Well, what 11g is *promising* (or was it Tom Kite's *prediction*?) is
online evolution of APPLICATION schema. This doesn't mean that we will
be able to do the same online evolution for sys schema. In fact, I can
bet that it won't make patchset installation any more online than now.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group