Oracle 11gR1 RAC in IBM p servers, VIOS or NOT

  • From: Limin Guo <lguo.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:22:47 -0400

Hi,

Before IBM VIOS was certified by Oracle RAC last year, I always use two HBA
ports and two NIC card ports on each node for redundancy purpose in the RAC
implementation in IBM p series servers. I would like to hear other expert's
opinion whether VIOS should be considered in the Oracle RAC.

Here are the pros and cons that I could think of for whether or not using
VIOS in RAC:

Use dedicated HBA and NIC:

pros: the storage I/O and network throughput are guaranteed and predictable.
cons: additional cost, the LPAR can not be dynamically moved to another
frame if needed (since HBA and NIC are attached to the LPAR)

Use VIOS:

pros: I/O Virtualization.
cons: the LPAR can be dynamically moved to anther frame if needed. RAC node
I/O may be impacted by other LPARs that use same device.

You comments or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Regards,

Limin Guo.