Re: Oracle 11 install wants to use Oracle 10 oraInventory

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pioro1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:54:54 -0500

Or, you can just start the installer using the special -invPtrLoc flag (it's
documented<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui2_manage_oracle_homes.htm#sthref101>in
the OUI docs):

runInstaller -invPtrLoc /path/to/alternate/oraInst.loc

Also opatch has a similar feature (also
documented<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui7_opatch.htm#sthref642>
):

opatch apply -invPtrLoc /path/to/alternate/oraInst.loc

This way, you can control what inventory pointer location you want the
installer/opatch to read/update and not have to modify (especially if you
forget) the default oraInst.loc file.

This argument can be specified along with all the other args you might
commonly use. If it is incorporated into your procedures, it's probably
safer than trying to remember to modify the default /etc/oraInst.loc
before/after installs.

Dan