Oracle 10gR2 Multi-Terabyte Database Cross-Plathform Migration Method

Hi all,

We have one 10.2.0.3 database on Tru64(source, server A, location X) and
another new AIX(target, server B, location Y). This is our CRM database,
with xx TB data and 7*24 availability needs. To reduce the downtime of this
multi-terabyte database cross-plathform migration, IBM advised an async
change data capture method(this is not Oracle's CDC, IBM prefers to work
with the company called Goldengate).

But Goldengate has several important constraints related to some Oracle
native data types and table types. So we started to study a B plan, the
summary of this plan is as below;

1.    take a tape backup of source database at Tru64(server A, location X)
and restore it to target AIX(server B, location Y).
2.    mount AIX's filesystems to another Tru64(server C, location Y) over
NFS.
3.    open restored database as a physical standby on Server C and apply
archives to catch up production.
4.    activate database on Server C as primary.
5.    create a new instance on Server B(AIX).
6.    take tablespaces to read-only mode on Server C and export
metadata(standart cross-platform transportable tablespace step 1).
7.    use RMAN convert command on Server B for the datafiles of Server C(in
fact these files are on Server B and server C sees them over NFS).
8.  finish convert and import metadata on Server B, and open the database.

During these steps since the datafiles will be transfered over local area we
plan to have at most 8 hours downtime.

We will be testing these steps in details, but I wanted to have your
comments also.

--
Best Regards,
H.Tonguç YILMAZ