Oracle 10g Grid table partitions

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:13:54 -0400

I just looking through the 10g grid database and noticed that I have
three partitioned tables with a ton of partitions:

SQL> select table_name, count(*) from user_tab_partitions

  2  group by table_name;

TABLE_NAME                       COUNT(*)

------------------------------ ----------

MGMT_METRICS_1DAY                     700

MGMT_METRICS_1HOUR                    366

MGMT_METRICS_RAW                     8076

SYS_IOT_OVER_27433                   8076

The three metric tables have partitions dating back to when we installed
the software - early 2005.  The partitions do not have any data in them.
I havew two questions

Does anyone else have these many partitions?

Is it safe to drop them?

10G Grid only keeps data for 7 days.  The partitions are broken up by
day.  So why the heck does it keep these partitions hanging around?  I
submitted the same question to Metalink but thought I'd ask you as well.

By the way - the repository is already at 18Gig and growing.  Not a
light weight product.

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this
transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  In addition,
unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law,
including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.