RE: Oracle 10G RedHat Linux

I found a note specific to this in Metalink which provides a way to
change the ssh behaviour:

The information in this article applies to:=20
Linux Kernel - Version: 3.0
Red Hat Advanced Server
Red Hat Linux RHEL 3.0
SLES AMD64=20
Errors
CANNOT
LIMIT
MODIFY
NOT
OPERATION
PERMITTED
ULIMIT

Symptoms
Updating a soft limit using 'ulimit' command you receive an error
message similar to:

'-bash: ulimit: max user processes: cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted'=20
Changes
You have updated "/etc/security/limits.conf"
with the appropriate information regarding soft&hard limit
and
in "/etc/pam.d/login" you have this entry
'session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so'=20
Cause
this issue is documented in Red Hat bugzilla, reference # 99404

Recent opensshd provides a feature called privilege separation. This
feature
will not currently work properly with GNU/Linux PAM implementations. The
symptom is that the method to set hard and soft
limits will not work properly from an ssh session whose daemon is
running
privilege separation.=20
Fix
So, be sure to include the configuration statement
"UsePrivilegeSeparation no"=20
in your sshd configuration file (found in /etc/ssh/sshd_config).=20