RE: Oracle 10

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:39:34 -0500

We just migrated from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.5 for production.  The second mouse gets
the cheese...

There's nothing in 10g yet that necessitates a move for us, and there's a whole
lot of reasons why we shouldn't.  First and foremost, not one of our major
software vendors has tested 10g yet, much less certified it.  One of them just
certified 9iR2 and the other 8.1.7.4.  I don't want to make that support call
in the middle of the night.

And if I'm not mistaken, the answer to your question of "9i or 10g?" is
actually in Cary's (and Jeff's!) book, albeit indirectly.  Compare 10g and 9i
from a business perspective.  What specific gains will be seen by going with
10g over 9i?  Vice-versa?  Ask yourself why should you upgrade at all?

Our business drivers for 9i were the 8i EOS at the end of 2004, new warehousing
features, new manageability (more dynamic tunables, like the shared pool to
reduce DB downtime -- used twice already), and of course bugfixes.  As of now,
I don't see any immediate drivers for 10g as it relates to our business.
That's not to say there aren't any, I just haven't been able to identify them
if they exist.

HTH!  Enjoy!

Rich

rjesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA