RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:23:17 -0500

Yikes!  Yes, I think you need to eat :)

I actually made the conscious decision to not define Operational Excellence
because it is different for each organization.  Operational excellence might be
recognized by providing 5 9s of availability (99.999) because that is what is
determined as the measuring stick for a particular organization.  A different
organization may strive for response time for 90% of queries to complete in
under 10 ms.  Obviously these are simplistic examples.

I think you have made the mistake of equating excellence with infallible or
inerrant (or perhaps both).  Perhaps to you that is what operational excellence
is.  To be inerrant and/or infallible.

I hope that helps.

--Chris