RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:37:47 -0400

Well, I suppose that is true. After all, this is the oracle-l list and I'm
thinkin' many will agree that decent competence will suffice to achiever
operational excellence of large enterprise data stores with Oracle and that
it cannot be done at all with the software of the convicted monopolist your
mention.

Now if you had mentioned another genuine enterprise class RDBMS besides
Oracle you would have an interesting argument. Then I'd say false, because
operational excellence does not require top 1 percentile expertise in the
individual database products. Given an RDBMS that fundamentally works, and
perhaps avoiding new features until production release plus 2, the vast
majority of people on this list should be able to manage a very large
information store to certain recoverability and very high availability.

And of course there are whole suites of multi-database tools.