From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Coll-Barth, Michael
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:57 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to
explain if so inclined)

Chris,

>>> I think you have made the mistake of equating excellence with
infallible or inerrant (or perhaps both).  Perhaps to you that is what
operational excellence is.  To be inerrant and/or infallible.

The problem with these terms is that management will run with them.
Then, over time, they take on a whole different meaning.  And that word,
'infallible', is the word I'm afraid will become synonymous with
excellence.

Where I work, management tries very hard to not use buzz words or
ambiguous terms.  Yes, we have metrics and we always strive to improve
them.  It's nice to see your app with that number next to its name.  And
when it isn't it pushes you to make changes to get your app back up
there.

I guess it's time for me to socialize this idea in the office.  J