RE: Operating System Experiences - Oracle App Server

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'kfabijanic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <kfabijanic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:37:33 -0500

Kresmir,

It sounds like your answered your own question (and supported Mladen's
position).

You already have Unix experience in-house.  So why would you want to bring
in another OS?  Admittedly, the Windows implementation would probably be
quicker and easier.  But my experience with Windows platforms is that they
work great for OLTP applications.  But when it comes to supporting batch
reporting, they suffer.  Our systems just don't seem to have the backbone
strength to support multi-batching throughput.  It could be our hardware,
but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.

I would go with the unix environment.  In your case, simply because you
already have Unix Admin's on site.  And they can use their knowledge to
support the new server.

Good Luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional