Re: Online "tablespace" reorg ?

  • From: Bob <bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:43:14 -0400

A little more information of my environment . These are all DSS - Oracle 10.1.0.3.0 on HPUX 11.1... Database sizes are from 5 - 20TB
The largest table space approx 800GB containing approx 20-50 segments, tablespaces average about 200GB +-

90% are DMT & no ASSM

We are concerned with reclaiming space and switching to LMT and ASSM. Im thinking of creating new tablespaces with these attributes find the dependent segments and alter table move... and recreate the indexes.

I suspect CTAS involves more TEMP space and therefor slower, where I believe move creates a copy of the table and then drops the old and that can be done online (off peak)

as far as online table reorg, there is dbms_redefinition which allows modifying columns etc...

Just wondering others opinions of

1- reclaiming space  with such large objects
2 -  opinions on using ASSM
3 -  recommendations  from others who have "been there" :)

Thanks!
Bob

Allen, Brandon wrote:
Hi Bob,

No, I don't believe there is anyway to do an online table reorg, much less an
online tablespace reorg.  There is an ONLINE option for the ALTER TABLE . .
MOVE statement, but unfortunately it is for use with IOTs only.

I think your only options are to use the ALTER TABLE . . . MOVE like you've
already mentioned, or to use exp/imp, with a drop/create of the tablespaces in
the middle to recreate the tablespaces as LMT w/ ASSM.

Regards,
Brandon

-----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bob Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:54 PM To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Online "tablespace" reorg ?

All- Is there such a thing as online tablespace reorg?

All, I've been tasked to perform an "online reorg of our tablespaces"
  From my research I come to these findings.

1 - tablespace reorg is not a popular topic and only seems to be  available
using oem which  due to our diverse environment, I need to use  a
sqlplus script.  From  reading ask tom he is claiming there really isn't
anything to "reorg" in a tablespace - recreate yes - reorg no
Is this correct?

2 My plans would be to create new tablespaces using LMT and ASSM, then alter
table move .. new tablespace.  The LMT would minimizes future fragmentation
and ASSM would benefit by using the alter table shrink; statement to alter
the HWM in the future.

Questions,
1 - Is there such a thing as online reorg of tablespaces and if so
documentation on its use?
2 - Are there any issues that  I'm overlooking in item 2

Thanks Bob

side note -dbms_refefination looks like what I've been told to look for but
that is on the table level and not going to help because the tablespaces
are  DMT. I don't need to redef the tables I'm really looking to reclaim
space from the tablespaces as well as putting the tables in LMT and ASSM
mode