From: Mogens N=F8rgaard [mailto:mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 7:23 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: James Morle
Subject: Old author, (sort of) old book... New licensing

I've looked and looked for excuses - however remote - for telling you=20
this, but no Subjects seemed appropriate. As I've noted several times=20
before, James Morle's book Scaling Oracle8i is not half bad.

In fact, there are only a few problems with James' book:

* It has '8i' in the title - but who cares, if it's good?
* It costs money - but not a lot, and the '8i' makes it cheaper
* It is hard to find - since it has gone out of print
* It therefor does not sell - so James does not make any money

The unusual thing about James is that he on occasion sits down and=20
thinks. This time he came up with the idea of making his book freely=20
available using the Creative Commons license scheme.

The publisher thought this was a good idea. So James will release his=20
book for free Real Soon Now.

I'm doing a short 'Welcome on board' (I wasn't born when James wrote =
the=20
book, so here is my chance), and James is rewriting the introduction to =

address some of the issues raised in the chapters that might not be=20
relevant anymore (or maybe they are, but under disguise). When that is=20
done, the book will be there for everybody to download and enjoy.

With luck it might hit the streets at the same time as the Tales Of The =

OakTable book...

I'll be back.

Jonathan?

Best regards,