Old author, (sort of) old book... New licensing

  • From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:23:02 +0200

I've looked and looked for excuses - however remote - for telling you
this, but no Subjects seemed appropriate. As I've noted several times
before, James Morle's book Scaling Oracle8i is not half bad.

In fact, there are only a few problems with James' book:

* It has '8i' in the title - but who cares, if it's good?
* It costs money - but not a lot, and the '8i' makes it cheaper
* It is hard to find - since it has gone out of print
* It therefor does not sell - so James does not make any money

The unusual thing about James is that he on occasion sits down and
thinks. This time he came up with the idea of making his book freely
available using the Creative Commons license scheme.

The publisher thought this was a good idea. So James will release his
book for free Real Soon Now.

I'm doing a short 'Welcome on board' (I wasn't born when James wrote the
book, so here is my chance), and James is rewriting the introduction to
address some of the issues raised in the chapters that might not be
relevant anymore (or maybe they are, but under disguise). When that is
done, the book will be there for everybody to download and enjoy.

With luck it might hit the streets at the same time as the Tales Of The
OakTable book...

I'll be back.

Jonathan?

Best regards,