OUI 10.1.0.2

  • From: "Sentell, Aaron" <aaron_sentell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:38:42 -0700

Good morning everyone,

Recently I installed the Oracle 9.2.0.5 patch on a Windows server. This
patch requires Oracle Universal Installer version 10.1.0.2. When installing
this version of OUI, rather than remaining an "Independent Product" as it
has been for 8i and 9i (until this patch), it is asking for an Oracle Home
in which to install. I went ahead and installed OUI 10 in its own Oracle
Home, and the old version of OUI that was already installed on the server
remained in its original location. When I ran OUI 10 (and verified that I
was doing so by clicking on "About") and attempted to install the 9.2.0.5
patch, it said I was using the wrong version of the installer! I uninstalled
the old version of the Installer and tried again. Same result! I uninstalled
OUI 10 and re-installed it in the 9i Oracle Home where the database is
located. Lo and behold, the patch application worked!

Why in the world does OUI ask for an Oracle Home now? I don't see the logic.
All I see now is confusion because I don't know where to install OUI or
which version of OUI is running, even when I click on "About".

Aaron Sentell
Database Administrator
City of Tempe, Arizona