Re: OT: Unix Version Control

  • From: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Raymond.Feighery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:20:24 +0100

Ray,

I've used CVS and it's pretty good. It takes a bit of understanding but there is
some decent documentation around as well as a good GUI for UNIX (tkCVS).

I've not done any scripting of it myself but there are plently of hooks into it
for your own bespoke bits.

As far as I'm aware you can move it from system to system quite easily, but I've
not done it myself. One slight problem is that when you've set up your
directory structure and added your files etc. it can be quite difficult and
take some work to change the directory names and/or structure.

BTW there's a new kid on the block now called SubVersion which is supposed to be
a replacement for CVS. I've not used it myself but a friend of mine who's a
software developer is now migrating all his stuff at work from CVS to
SubVersion. He thinks it's the best.

Cheers,

Chris

Quoting "Feighery, Raymond (RBS Insurance)" <Raymond.Feighery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Slightly off-topic, but relevant to anyone who uses bespoke scripts on Unix.
>
> I've got a bunch of SQL, ksh and perl scripts that I want to organise,
> archive and delete where obsolete. I'd like to get these into some sort of
> version control repository (rather than the .old .bkp .date etc "system"
> currently employed) and I was wondering what systems (if any) you use. SCCS?
> RCS? CVS?
> I'd like it to be scriptable, and easily portable as I carry scripts from
> site to site.
>
> Recommendations/experiences/gotchas gratefully received.
>
> Ray

> This email and any attached to it are confidential and intended only for the
> individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, please let us know by telephoning or emailing the sender.  You
> should also delete the email and any attachment from your systems and should
> not copy the email or any attachment or disclose their content to any other
> person or entity.  The views expressed here are not necessarily those of
> Churchill Insurance Group plc or its affiliates or subsidiaries. Thank you.
>
> Churchill Insurance Group plc.  Company Registration Number - 2280426.
> England.
>
> Registered Office: Churchill Court, Westmoreland Road, Bromley, Kent BR1
> 1DP.
>

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Chris Dunscombe