Re: OT: Redhat linux install issues

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:59:37 -0700

Hmmmm...

Yes, the text-based installer may get you farther,
but as I recall, the GUI-based installer is using
X-windows.  If it really fails badly on your
hardware, you may find that the full X-windows is
not so hot either.  (Or not.)

Have you thought about VMware?  I've had great
success with it myself.  VMware Workstation costs
less than $200.  Alternatively, VMware player is
free, although you'd have to find somebody to create
a "seed" virtual machine for you.  (VMware player
cannot "create" virtual machines.)

Anyway, I've been running Oracle-on-linux-on-VMware
on my laptop for some time now, and couldn't be
happier with it.  (Not that I'd do this for a
*production* database, though.)  This can be
especially handy for laptops, where "exotic"
hardware can otherwise really through Linux a
curve-ball.  (VMware provides "virtual" hardware
that Linux is usually able to deal with easily.)

Anyway, just a thought...

Cheers,
-- Mark.