Re: OT - Orientation for developers new to Oracle

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brian.peasey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:54:53 +0100

On 9/20/05, BP <brian.peasey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working in a medium sized insurance company here in Canada and have
> been
> tasked to prepare and deliver 1/2 day of training for our developers
> who will be working against a new Oracle installation. Most know SQL
> and but come from a VB/SQL Server background.

  Missed out earlier some stuff that is done differently.
 Sequences/artificial key generation.
bulk ops in PL/SQL.
transaction length - typically shorter than business transaction length in
mssql.
temporary tables - precreate in Oracle, create in sp in sqlserver.
outer joins - if they don't know the ansi syntax or you are prior to 9.2
DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO (ok I just want some developer somewhere to use this).