Re: OT - Orientation for developers new to Oracle

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brian.peasey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:40:44 +0100

On 9/20/05, BP <brian.peasey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working in a medium sized insurance company here in Canada and have
> been
> tasked to prepare and deliver 1/2 day of training for our developers
> who will be working against a new Oracle installation. Most know SQL
> and but come from a VB/SQL Server background.
>
> So far I have a rough outline that includes:
> Overview of the Oracle Database (datatypes and terminology)
> Connecting to Oracle
> SQL and Oracle (bind variables!)
> Misc. (object naming conventions, etc.)
> Manuals and ref material.

Of your list above definitely take some time on the bind variable thing and
datatypes.

vb programmers frequently have variant (aka typeless) variables and almost
always do string substitution instead of parameter binding. They also need
to realise that this counts for sql statements as well as stored code.
SQLServer does this better than Oracle and so they won't have come across it
before. Knock up a demo if you have time.
cover schemas and permissions - these exist but are almost never seen in sql
server land.

note that "database" isn't the same as database - they probably want a new
schema when they say they want a new db.

explain about read-consistency. Not only does it massively reduce the code
they have to write (no locks), it can mean that the same code on the same
data gives different results between platforms.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA