RE: OT Oracle Server Operating System

  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:53:25 -0700

>>>it is a hard sell.  For someone to stop using Veritas, EMC
>>>or Shark management tools for the new (and unproven) Oracle
>>>toolset is a tough pull.
>>>
>>>Just my little opinion.
>>>
>>>Tom

  That is because you are not drunken on the koolaid. Over
85% of all data in digital form is unstructured. That data
needs volume management. Only a fraction of a fraction will
be migrated into ASM even if TODAY it was a general purpose
"volume manager". And certainly, there wont be much DB2 data
migrated into Oracle "volumen manager" products. ASMis good for what it
is, providing RAID characteristics at the oracle block level within
raw partions. One still requires management of those raw partitions.

  We have an oil and gas customer with 166TB spatial data stored
in CFS on Cluster VM. Think they'll be migrating that into an Oracle
database anytime soon?

  That said, however, I do believe that everytime an Oracle
database is deployed on Linux, one more drop of water lands in the
bucket. The closer that bucket gets to full, the closer
Oracle will be to making Linux the only "supported", "certified",
"unbreakable", whatever, platform that you will be able to
deploy Oracle on. The less choices IT shops have, the more
price leverage Oracle has. That is good for Oracle shareholders.
It is as simple as that.

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Database Solutions
PolyServe