OT - Opinions on workload

Hi all -

I have a generic question that hopefully some of you have experience at.

What do you think the IT requirements would be for a project that
wants to take an existing Oracle 11 database (roughly 40 data tables)
and add a GIS front-end to it with ARC (probably the Enterprise
version, for multi-user, multi-editor). This is all still in the
planning stages (for another month), so I'd like to be able to provide
some facts for the person proposing the project. So far, it sounds
like they are only planning on one part-time IT person.

This person would be responsible for everything Oracle and ARC-GIS
related, including installing, configuring and maintaining an
ARC-server installation, the main Oracle database, probably a dummy
Oracle database in-between (to avoid giving ARC DBA rights in the real
database), all of the programming, user support (for the ARC and
Oracle parts), maintaining a 5 person office with it's LAN and
associated hardware, etc. There are several schemas within the
database for other projects, but (so far) only one of the schemas will
be GISable

Is it realistic for one person to actually accomplish all of this with
only a 40 hour work week, or would more folks be required, in your own
professional opinions? Keep in mind that 250 hours (a little over 6
weeks) of the work year is wasted on security documentation, plus
roughly 2 months each year for Annual Leave, sick time, training,
maintaining the other schemas and their associated programming, etc.
So, this  only leaves about 38 weeks each year (maximum) that could be
spent working on and maintaining the above, along with training new
users, developing new code for added functionality, etc.

Things are still in the planning stage on this, and I think the
workload estimate is way to low, and the person stuck with this will
burn out extremely quickly, but I would like to have some case
examples before the person proposing the project finishes up. I'm only
an IT person, not a scientist, so obviously I have no idea what I'm
talking about when it comes to these gosh-darn technical issues, so
some actual case examples from those of you who have either done it or
seen it done, and how it worked (or failed) and why would be useful. I
really don't have much hope of this project actually requesting (and
recieving) any extra IT support, and just the Oracle end of it has
been keeping me busy, around 80 hour weeks without additional
compensation. I just really don't see how this can be successful based
upon my own experience and knowledge, but perhaps I am missing
something?

Thanks for any and all input.

--
-- Bill Ferguson