OT: MySQL

Sorry for the ot post, please reply off-list.  I'm trying to build a
little application in MySQL to dabble a bit and expand my horizons and
I know there are MySQL folks out there.

In MS Access, the IDE is easy to use to build a quick simple
application, but with MySQL, the best thing I've found is Rekall.
I've downloaded and gotten past a few install bugs, but II keep
getting this error:

checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!

The RTFM README's with the download seem to indicate that I can
install with just QT (which appears to be fully installed) so I think
I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

I'm using RedHat 9.  Any pointers?

Is there an IDE that would be easier to get installed or any other
recommendations?

Stephen