Re: OT - Getting fired for database oops

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:44:18 +0300

I was very happy when then put separate logoff button in Windows 2003.
I usually do select host_name from v$instance and select name from v$database before any important (destructive) action to be on the safe side.

I destroyed the bank database about 20 years ago.
It was after a power failure, on startup, the database wrote that he was in the middle of a write I/O and I have to restore from backup and do recover. To make a long story short, there was a bug in the recovery process and 24 hours later we had the database up from the last backup and started to run last night load all over again. Later it turned out that the database message was a bug and it should not appear.

We had a meeting with the database representative where I asked only one question:
What would you do if you were in my place?
He said: What you did.
After that I shut up and let the managers and representatives shout it our.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Rich Jesse wrote:
I usually get a few odd looks/smiles when someone's standing over my
shoulder as I'm logging out of an RDP session connected to any Winders
server.  Said out loud:

"I'm on the [correct] server."
"I'm on the [correct] server."
"I'm on the [correct] server."
"I'm on the [correct] server."
"I'm on the [correct] server."
"I'm logging off -- NOT shutting down."
"I'm logging off -- NOT shutting down."
"I'm logging off -- NOT shutting down."
"I'm logging off -- NOT shutting down."
"I'm logging off -- NOT shutting down."

Depending on how much caffeine I've had, the day I've had, or how
distracting the situation is, I may also mix up the above and/or add some
more reps.

Only THEN do I click OK.  It's a whole lot easier than fixing the problems.  :)

Rich