Re: OT: Database design question

Giovanni,

   You are on a slippery slope. You have identified quite correctly one
of the issues (and someone pointed at performance too). But you should
also tell your customer that any type of so-called "meta" design means
that you won't be able to implement foreign keys nor integrity
constraints (unless you bend over backwards in triggers). For instance,
some of your item attributes will be numbers, some characters, which
means that everything would have to be stored as a string. If someone
mistypes a O (letter) for a 0 (digit), no way to check it. Consequence,
queries may return wrong results. Even if you try to segregate the
values by type, you will have no way to check that values are valid or
within reasonable bounds. Unless most of the code is made of validity
checks in the application code (no protection against the fat-fingered
SQL*Plus user).

    It's a much better solution to have a generic ITEMS table, and a
specific table by type of item (subtyping).

HTH

Stéphane Faroult