Re: OT: Business Objects

Charles,

   My impression is that B.O. usually generates good SQL, and when it
doesn't, it has features which allows report developers to improve the SQL.
This is based on the fact that I have had to deal with relatively few
problems.
   My impression is that B.O. is a sophisticated tool that usually
generates good SQL, and has advanced options when difficulties are
encountered.
   As far as other products creating better SQL, that might be difficult to
get a trustworthy blanket statement. These are complex products generating
complex SQL in (your case) complex situations. Not sure how that could even
be tested.
   Your last statement makes it sound like this is a difficult situation.
One thought would be whether you as the DBA can take the SQL statements that
are generated by B.O., rewrite them for your developers and then have your
developers try to figure out how to get B.O. to generate similar SQL, asking
B.O. support as needed.

Dennis Williams