Re: ORA-4031

  • From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 15:16:28 -0400

Tracy,

We upgraded a database from 9i to 10gr2 on aix 5.2 last weeek and got a 4031 which killed an etl process that runs daily. I'm not the dba working on the problem but I know that 1 of the fixes is to increase the data limit (ulimit -d). That seemed to help somewhat but not entirely. The dba who is working on it is also playing with some sga parms. I'll pass your info to her to see if it helps.

Joe

Tracy Rahmlow wrote:

This weekend we upgraded from 8.1.7.4 32-bit to 10.1.0.5 64-bit (AIX 5.2) and we are experiencing a large number of 4031 errors(these were extremely rare under 8). We have contacted Oracle support as a sev 1 issue, but I thought I would drop a note to see if anyone has experienced anything like this while we wait. Under 8 our shared pool was approximately 250m. We initially set the shared pool to 1.2g under 10 and that was not enough. In the interim, we decided to increase the shared pool to 3g to see if we can buy some time while we continue to wait (and that has been successful so far). We do have some literal sql and some opportunities for improvement, but I would think we should experience "somewhat" similar behavior in terms of memory usage with the upgrade vs. the prior version. The amount of memory seems very excessive to me. In addition, we are not using the memory autotuning featur e. Anybody know of a bug related to excessive shared pool usage or any other thoughts? Thanks

Tracy Rahmlow | Lead Database Analyst
Information Systems
Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance

AMEX Assurance Company
IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company
3500 Packerland Drive | De Pere, WI 54115-9070
Office: 920.330.5164 | Fax: 920.330.5350
tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx
ameriprise.com/autohome

Ameriprise made the following
annotations on 05/08/06, 11:29:55

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."