ORA-22816

  • From: Thomas Day <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:42:47 -0500

First, I don't have a metalink account.  Oracle messed up my old
account, contract is coming to an end, and customer is dragging their
feet about giving me the CSI number so I can get a new account.

However, I have R'ed TFM -
"Cause: RETURNING clause is currently not supported for object type
columns, LONG columns, remote tables, INSERT with subquery, and
dereferencing inside returning clause.

Action: Use separate SELECT statements to get the values."

We're doing an INSERET through a view.  The insert statement is pretty
straight-forward and doesn't have any apparent subqueries.  It works
fine if I run it in SQLPlus.  However, we're running it through Java
and an ODBC connection.  The view has several decode statements and an
outer join (the decode statements handle the output when the outer
join doesn't find data in the second table).

So I'm wondering, is it the decode statements that are acting like a
subquery or is it the outer join that's causing dereferencing, or is
it something altogether different?

I don't have access to the resources that I need to answer this and
I'm hoping that someone else has run across this problem and knows the
answer.