Re: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

  • From: "Joel Garry" <joelgarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:08:49 -0700

Chris Marquez wrote:

>I can NOT believe the if I used NOLOGGING to create and INDEX "long
ago" *and*
had
>many, many subsequent FULL BACKUPS that it could/did effect or error on
future recovery?

>Again, we are getting this error after full db recovery on indexes
created
>(NOLOGGING), well before the FULL backup and thus no "NOLOGGING"
objects in any
>of the arch logs applied...what gives?

Believe it.  Time bomb sat there since long ago.  Nologging operations
bypass the redo logs.  So they bypass the archived logs.  So when you
restore the datafile by rolling forward, you invalidate those blocks.
So you have to fix them with some other mechanism than recovery.  Maybe
use force logging if you don't want to run into this again.  And all
that advice about taking a backup after nologging operations seems
pretty misleading, huh?

In the end, surely you realize that you, the DBA, are taking
responsibility for _any_ previous nologging operations in the case of
restoration?

Joel Garry
http://www.garry.to